About our edible toppers
Our cake and cupcake toppers can be used in different ways depending on what effect you're trying to create.
In the main images on our website, the cupcake toppers have been lightly stuck to a circle/disc of thicker fondant icing. This gives the cupcake topper a thicker look and maintains the rigidity. Alternatively, you can cover your cupcakes with standard water icing, let the icing dry and then stick the topper directly into this icing.
In the images on our website, the cake toppers have been lightly stuck to the fondant icing covering the cake.
Handy Hints for removing the cake toppers from the backing sheet
- After printing your cake toppers, we have dried your toppers and placed them in a grip seal bag to keep the dryness. Please don’t remove the toppers from the bag until you are ready to use them.
- In some cases, you might find it difficult to release the cake toppers from the backing paper. If this happens, you could try one of the following methods:
- Place the backing sheet (along with the toppers) into a very cold dry freezer for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Use a hair dryer on the reverse of the backing paper for 30 to 40 seconds.
- Place in a warm dry oven at a low temperature for 1 to 2 minutes. Alternatively, lay the sheet on a warm pan for a minute or two.
- Leave the sheet in an air-conditioned area for a short time.
- Pull the backing sheet over the sharp edge of a table top.
Handy hints for applying the cake toppers to your cake
- If you have a shop-bought cake or the icing on your cake has dried or formed a crust, a little moisture will help the icing toppers attach to the icing.
- Dampen the cake icing using a pastry brush or a fine mist/spray. Try not to over-wet the icing as this may cause the colours in the image to run.
- Hold the cupcake toppers gently at the edges and place the middle onto the cake first. If any bubbles or wrinkles appear, gently pat them out with dry fingers.
- If you accidentally tear the toppers, don’t worry, simply rub very gently with a dry finger and it will merge back together. The tear should disappear after an hour or so.
Storage of our cake and cupcake toppers
The toppers last for up to three months from the point of ordering so long as they are kept in their original packaging.