Red Velvet Cupcakes
What are red velvet cupcakes?
Red velvet cake is traditionally a red, red-brown, cherry flavoured, crimson or scarlet coloured chocolate layer cake, layered with white cream cheese or ermine icing.
Check out the recipe below to make some delicious red velvet cupcakes.
- 65g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 130g plain flour
- 125ml buttermilk
- 1tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2tsp white wine vinegar
- 1tsp red food paste
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 160c and line a cupcake tray with 12 liners.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt then, in a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk and red food colouring together. Set aside.
- In a bowl attached to an electric mixer whip the butter and sugar together until the mixture turns pale and creamy. With the speed up high, add the egg and whisk for a few minutes. Add 1/2 of the flour mixture followed by the buttermilk and colouring before adding the remainder of the flour. Mix well to combine.
- Working quickly mix the bicarb and vinegar together allowing it to fizz up slightly before adding it to the cake batter. Quickly fold in into the cake batter.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake liners and bake for 23 minutes until risen and a skewer inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for five minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
This fabulous Red Velvet Cupcake recipe is provided by foodie blogger Katie Cakes. More fantastic recipes by Katie can be found on her blog.
These red velvet cupcakes would look fabulous decorated with some of our cupcake toppers.